Display Management is used for customizing your site’s homepage with spotlight and featured events as well as customizing individual category pages. PLEASE NOTE: If your site is using the larger, alternate or small alternate spotlight, please refer Adding Homepage Spotlights for instructions.
Our system relies on a combination of manual spotlight/feature selections and auto-filling. For example, if you would like a Music event to appear on the home page you would first want to select it to be spotlighted or featured on the Music category page. Then that event becomes “eligible” to appear on the home page. The home page basically represents the “best of the best” in terms of events that have been featured or spotlighted on individual category pages. However, if no events are selected to be featured or spotlighted on the category pages then the home page will begin to auto-fill events for each of the primary category tabs on your homepage (i.e. dance, theatre, music, visual arts, kids & family, etc.).
Spotlighting & Featuring Events on Category Pages
On each category page there is one top Spotlight event and then typically seven Featured events (if there are enough events to fill those positions). To spotlight and feature events on a category page:
- Log into the admin panel, and go to “Events > Display Management”
- Using the drop menu at the top, select the category you want to set spotlight and featured events for (i.e., Dance, Theatre, Music, etc.) and then click “Filter”.
- Locate the event you want to Spotlight on that category page and tick the check box for that event under the Spotlight column.
- Next, locate the events you want to Feature on the category page and tick the check boxes for those events under the Featured column.
- Once you have selected your spotlight and featured events, click “Save”. This will then push these events to the “Home Page” display management page where you can set the spotlight and featured events for the home page slider and featured columns/tabs.
Again, the concept here is that spotlight and featured selections from category pages provides ‘the best of’ list of events that then become available for selection on the home page.
Note: Even though only seven featured events will display on your category page, you can check more than seven events so that when one expires and falls off the featured listing, the next one in queue will replace it. Otherwise, the system will pull the next event in queue by end date.
Spotlighting & Featuring Events on Homepage
- In the admin panel, go to “Events > Display Management”
- Using the same category drop menu at the top, select “Homepage” and then click “Filter”.
- Locate the events you want to Spotlight on the homepage and tick the check boxes for those events under the Spotlight column.
- Next, locate the events you want to feature on the homepage Featured Event tabs. Tick the check boxes for those events under the Featured column. You will also need to select the category tab title from the drop menu next to the check box. You can choose to have an event display under it’s primary category or place it under a different category tab. For example, if you have a musical theatre event that has Theatre as it’s primary category, you can featured under Theatre or force it to appear under the Music tab by selecting Music from the drop menu.
- After selecting your spotlight and featured events, click “Save”. Remember that when you assign an event to one of the featured category tabs/columns you’ll need to check the box AND select the category name from the drop menu next to the check box.
The homepage allows you to rotate up to 5 events in the spotlight and feature up to 12 events in each of the Featured Events tabs/columns, depending on your setting. If you feature less than the maximum events in each tab/column, the system will begin to auto-fill events for those primary categories, based on end date.
Remember, if you’d like an event to appear on the home page you first want to select it to be spotlighted or featured on its category page. Then that event becomes “eligible” to appear on the home page.
Note: all spotlight events MUST has a featured image otherwise the event will not display.
Questions or suggestions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
‹ Back to Guide